Strong Sustained Economic Growth
* Fastest growing economy in Eurozone, 5th consecutive year of economic expansion.
* Broad based growth; Consumer spend +4.2%, construction +11% and exports +9.8%, all contributing positively to growth.
* Ireland ranks 6th of 63 countries benchmarked in the 2017
IMD World Competitiveness Yearbook, up one place from last year.
* Ireland’s debt to GDP ratio (75%) is also on a firm downward trajectory below the Euro area (90%) and EU (85%) averages.
* Irish Government Debt has an A rating with all major rating agencies with stable to positive outlooks forecast.
May 8 – 9, 2017: IABCN members, PA DCED hosted Dr. Malachy O’Neill, Head of School of Irish Language & Literature of Ulster University, Professor Ian Mongtomery, Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Global Engagement of Ulster University, and Kevin O’Connor, Head of Business for Derry and Strabane District Council on a visit to Philadelphia region universities and businesses.
IABCN Board members, Kevin Kent, Sean Flatley and Christine Hartmann, travelled to the Irish Consulate in New York City on May 5th to join the American Chamber of Commerce Ireland in celebrating the US launch of the Irish-US Economic Relationship 2017 Report. To read the entire report, please click HERE.
Mary Mitchell O’Connor, TD, Minister of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation gave an address on the reciprocal nature of the Irish-America relationship. Also present was Olympic Medalist Annalise Murphy who won the Silver in the 2016 Olympics in Rio for sailing.
Congratulations were bestowed on Galway man, Gavin Henningan, who finished third and set a new Irish record for rowing across the Atlantic in the Talisker Whiskey challenge in under 50 days. He rowed from the Canary Islands to Antigua.